Pages

Thursday, July 12, 2007

Theatre Ahoy!!

"Now that is quick," I can actually feel that you are saying this considering that this post is immediately after my yesterday's. Yes, that I am not the active kind in blogging, this will be indeed regarded as quick. However, we all have spurts of emotions and this present log is associated with the most inherent passion of mine-Theatre.

Oh yes, theatre! (and thanks to some pesky and noisy friends like Venkat and Sameer, I was stuck on the latter phrase for two mins and thought to drag you-my esteemed readers into the same emotion of the 'pause' and 'wait'. Cedric Watts terms this as a delayed decoding process) Aha I will return and begin after the smoke ( I really dont know how to decode this in the blog) ................................................................................................................

.........................................................................................................................

I intentionally have left a trail of dots to signify the hour-long smoke cum lunch break that I took on behest of Sameer. "Mighty irritating." Is that what you are thinking? Well you should not because if I were you, I would be wondering why am I not talking about thetare as the title suggests.

Yes ,Theatre. I have been always into it and though for very long the calling has been keeping off, destiny was not far away. I heard the 'calling' again when Kanika invited Venkat and me to be a part of a theatre group, she was in the process of establishing. Disowning all the personal and physical (sin of sloth) hurdles I did manage to attend the first meeting one Saturday, at a Cafe Coffeday, in Janpath. While I was driving myself to the rendezvous, I kept thinking to myself whether I am actually ready for this. On a very sublime level I knew that theatre is very interesting and will shape my creative curiosities into something concrete. But deep down I was being nagged by the fact that might govern so many of us when we try to place ourselves into a situation of responsibility-"Will I be responsible enough". Many traffic lights later, as I manouevered and parked my Discover into the parking lot, I was telling myself-"No wishy washy promises, Binodan. If it's theatre then you better be in it"

Kanika, Venkat and I met, we discussed and we proposed( as in ideas!!!! duh) and after some points I suddenly realised that 'it' was happening. Though I did not exactly dig the script but I was for it. Very soon by the next meeting I realised that more people were wanting to be involved in it and that was really a good sign. But the acid test was to observe sustenance. And the test began from the very next meeting. (By now we had already decided to do a a ready script and since we were focussing on subversive theatre the obvious choice that I had was "Dario Fo's" "Accidental Death of an Anarchist"). In this third meeting I saw new faces and a few old ones. People spoke of problems with time,venue and commitment. Sigh! The ghost of Khalsa was revisiting me. Yes, we faced the same problems in Ankur-the dram soc of Khalsa. This time, however, I was determined and perhaps in the face of this theatre group I was fighting my own battle of incosistencies. So when we met last Sunday in Lodi gardens for our first reading, even though the presence was less- (only six of us) I went ahead with the reading without losing hope. I can sense it-I have entwined myself to this fatal attraction of the stage with vociferous sentiments, and I plan to stick to it for long.



The extra space above is deliberate again. I guess the whole entry was getting emotional.
This is what I love the most of creative sensibilities- the crescendo, the pitch, the thrill which gives you goosebumps and a chill through your spine. Aha from my ship I can indeed see the stage- " Theatre Ahoy!!!"

3 comments:

kanika said...

*raises mug*.. "to us"!!! :)

Unapologetic Confessions said...

thank you for the mug!!!! a toast for efforts!

Anonymous said...

hmmmm